Sunday 6 July 2014

If It’s Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium





On the way to Brussels, we stopped at Waterloo, scene of the historic battle.  We visited the museum which Michael enjoyed immensely, however I must confess that this was one battle too many for me.  It didn’t help that the recorded commentator sounded as though he was on Prozac as he recounted endless statistics about the war.  More interesting were the video presentations, which were a little livelier in delivery.  Michael climbed to the top of the Butte du Lion which is the memorial commemorating the battle.  This memorial consists of a large statue of a lion facing towards France and it does look very impressive.
Waterloo Battlefield












Diorama


We arrived in Brussels and it was strange to be in a large, modern city once more.  After checking in to our hotel, we set off to find the old city. 
Main Square












One thing that I desperately wanted to see was the Manneken Pis, which is what I had always associated with Brussels.  I had always imagined a large statue, set in a grand fountain in the middle of an enormous square.  Imagine my surprise on finding a small fountain, no bigger than one found in some gardens at home, with a two- foot high statue on a street corner.  Certainly not what I expected!


 









The Royal Museum of Fine Arts houses some wonderful pieces and we were particularly pleased to see two Hieronymus Bosch paintings. We also visited the Magritte Museum, which Michael enjoyed.  I found some of his works a little too weird but I did enjoy Empire of Light.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment