Wednesday 20 August 2014

There’s No Place Like London






We returned to Orpington to say farewell to Anne & Phil, as they were returning to Australia that evening.  It was sad saying goodbye, as we don’t know when we will see them again.  I think that they enjoyed their time in England and I know that they loved seeing Margaret and Peter again.

Michael and I then returned the hire car and once more caught the train to London.  We checked in to our hotel at Russell Square and then it was off to the Tower of London, as I wanted to see the art installation called Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red.  The installation is made up of 120,000 blood-red ceramic poppies, which have been planted in the dry moat surrounding the tower.  More will be added in the coming months until there are 888,246, which will represent the number of British and Commonwealth soldiers killed in World War 1.  The sight of the poppies is awe-inspiring and it will be truly mesmerising when all of the poppies have been planted.  I sincerely hope to return to see the completed work.
 
We called into All Hallows-by-the Tower after we had left the exhibition.  This is the oldest church in the city of London, having been founded in 675.  It is also where Samuel Pepys climbed the church’s spire to watch the Great Fire of London.  There is an effigy of Tubby Clayton who opened Talbot House, a rest house for soldiers, which we saw at Poperinge in Belgium.


 

The next day we caught up with Matthew at Westminster Abbey.  We spent a good couple of hours wandering the Abbey, listening to an excellent audio guide, which explained much of the history of both the abbey and the various monuments.  I was particularly thrilled to see Poet’s Corner, especially Charles Dickens’ grave.

The rest of the day was spent rambling around the city – Bond Street, Soho, Jermyn Street and Fortnum & Mason.  It doesn’t matter how many times we retrace out steps, there is always something new and interesting to see.  We finished up at South Bank where there was a Festival of Love being held and Michael and Matthew decided to visit a Freak Show.  I really wanted to go with them but thought better of it at the last minute, and by the sound of what they saw, I am glad I did!  There was a lizard man with a forked tongue, a girl doing flame tricks and grossest of all – a man who put fish hooks into his eyes and hung weights from them.  I felt ill just listening to them describing what they had seen.
Bar on a carousel

We said goodbye to Matthew, as we were leaving the following day to continue our journey.  He has another 3 days to explore London and then it will back to Australia for him.  I think he enjoyed his time in England and France and I don’t think that it will be long before he travels again, as I think, he has been bitten by the travel bug!




Dublin Me Darlin’

The day arrived for another sad goodbye, this time to the city, which I love so much.  London is such a wonderful place, full of history and I feel so much at home there.  I really hope that I can return again soon.

Once again we boarded the train at Euston Station and had a very relaxing journey to Holyhead.  We then transferred to the waiting Ulysses and a very calm ferry crossing took us to Dublin.  It is good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment